Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Percy's Perfect Pies

Jack Prelutsky writes great poems for children (...and teenagers... and adults!). They're lyrical, silly, and some of them are terrible tongue-twisters. I read "Percy's Perfect Pies," a poem about a baker named Percival, and his assortment of disgusting creations. Prelutsky uses a number of poetic devices in his poem, like assonance, which is repeating vowel sounds, and alliteration. An example of assonance is the pie titled "Wasp in Walnut Walrus Sauce" (49). The 'a' sound is repeated throughout the name. The Ws make this also a good example of alliteration. This piece of writing doesn't directly link to visual literacy, but it can be related to what we've done in class. Alliteration, assonance, goofy word choice, and rhyming are the elements that give style and meaning to the poem, just like shot angle, distance, and composition provide meaning in a photo or movie.
The poem lists off twenty-four different pies, all of which sound revolting, and are impossible to say without stumbling over yourself, or laughing. I think the poem appeals to younger children because of the silliness, but the multiple poetic devices make it worth looking at when you're older, too. I love this poem in all its ridiculousness. Even the bakers full name, "Percival P. Puffinwuff," makes me laugh (48). Whenever you're feeling gloomy, I recommend you check out a Jack Prelutsky book. It'll take you right back to childhood.

Prelutsky, Jack. It's Raining Pigs and Noodles. New York: Greenwillow, 1993.

2 comments:

Spenser W said...

The way you connect what we did in our visual literacy unit to literature is very clever and an interesting view. Jack Prelutsky's writing sounds interesting and fresh. His writing sounds like something many people would enjoy and especailly people like me who can't really seem to grow up. I also respect how you explain why his poems are good and why many enjoy them. You made his works sound appealing and fun and I would be very interested in reading some of his work. You were very descripive with how aspects of visual literacy coorespond to aspects of writing. Good job.

Carolynnn said...

I'm not familiar with his work but it makes me wonder if he write a lot of tongue twisters. This can defidently make me not only laugh but stumble for words! I didn't know there was a different word for using multiple vowel sounds that was different that alliteration. I might want to snatch that book the next time I'm at your house... :)