Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Box of Pastels

This week I read the poem "A Box of Pastels" by Ted Kooser (a former Poet Laureate of the United States). This poem describes the poet's experience holding a box of pastels that had previously been owned by Mary Cassatt, an impressionist painter. Kooser notices that warm colors seemed to have been used the most, cool colors the least. He links this to Mary Cassatt's personality, saying "She'd had little patience with darkness, and her heart held only a measure of shadow" (63). I've decided I love this poem, and Ted Kooser's imagery. I especially like the phrase "a simple wooden box in which a rainbow lay dusty and broken" (63). The rainbow, of course, is his metaphor for the pastels. The poem even gets to me emotionally, reminding me of my grandma and her love for creating paintings. Actually, I can look over to the shelf next to me right now, and touch the sleek black box of pastels she gave me. It turns out I didn't inhereit that particular artistic ability, but I'll never be able to throw away that box, especially after reading this poem. I think I'll start reading more poetry by Ted Kooser, since I like his style so much.

Kooser, Ted. Delights & Shadows. Port Townsend: Copper Canyon, 2004.

4 comments:

Kate J said...

The line about the rainbow is beautiful, I love it. It seems so simple to me, but has this underlining meaning. I know the pastel box you are talking. The one where you open it and you smell it? I like that one. This poem sounds beautiful and very much like you. I need to read it next time I'm over.

Carolynnn said...

I love the whole idea of this poem. It is so intimate, and loving. Also I love that connection that you can make at a personal level. I think this makes the poem even more special and beautiful, for you especially. I love to hear your point of view.

Ted M. said...

Lida, reading your post made me want to read the poem. I feel that I also would commonly use warm colors, and am interested in his interpretation of what that means. I can really see your voice by reading this. Where did you find this piece?

Lida said...

I found it in a book of poetry called Delights and Shadows. It's very good, I recommend it.